Zeitgeist User Survey 2011 Fall Results

Hello everyone,

As I announced earlier we had opened User Survey for Zeitgeist for general feedback and assessment of our own work. It was also to help us understand what are the user requirements.

After 5 days, we have received 261 responses. Instead of going in details and boring you, I would like to keep the post as short as possible and provide detailed analysis in the next post.

Our survey contained questions related to general Zeitgeist questions, Activity Journal, Activity Log Manager, Datasources and Community aspects. Users were also asked about their distro of choice and optional name, age and Country.

Distribution demographics

The biggest share of responders were using Ubuntu – 136. 30 of them were using derivatives. I am also happy to see Fedora and Gentoo in the list.

The other 10 distros included Mandriva, Chakra, Kubuntu (which could be part of Ubuntu and it’s derivatives)

How did you come to know about Zeitgeist

Online blog/news-outlet and Planet make up a huge percent of users. It is evident that people do follow these two very closely. Notice that total does not add up to 100% as just hearing the name might not be sufficient for someone to figure out what it is.

How much do you know about Zeitgeist

Pretty much obvious conclusion. The user know what it is but most of them are not geeky. Looks like those 6 “I hacked on the codebase” was selected by contributors.

Do you know what is Zeitgeist Datasources

One half of my brain says “Teach them what it is” and the other side says “No. Not everyone is very interested in being force taught”. Guess what? I take the central stand and will publish a short article on what all components of Zeitgeist do.

Which of these Datasources do you use?

This is a VERY VERY important chart. This tells us the adoption of datasources esp when datasources are not present in Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and openSUSE (AFAIK for last two). I think they are present in Gentoo and Arch.

I am really humbled that so many people like Firefox datasource even though it had suffered so much with regular xulrunner API breakage. With our new datasource which uses js-ctypes, all the API headache is gone. Gedit. Banshee and Chrome too score pretty high

Which datasources would you like to see in the near future?

I never thought Thunderbird would come out as first. My expectations were with Gnome-0shell which is actually second.

Good news is that Thunderbird datasource is in progress. Mark Jtully is working on it. Gnome-shell would is also in progress.

Since other were 76, I would like to name a few, though I would prefer a separate post for this. The number 76 has led me to make up my mind for a special treatment.

Let me list a few:

Novacut

Jason. Is that you? If yes, then contact me on IRC :)

git-repos

Personally my favourite too

Pidgin

Work in progress

Empathy

Telepathy plugin already present

Clementine

Even I am excited about it

KDE

Work in progress. Stay tuned for the next blog post

Heard about Activity Log Manager

Activity Log Manager is Administrative tool for Zeitgeist. You can temporarily stop logging, blacklisting certain applications from logging information, blacklisting certain mimetypes, clearing all history between time range etc. It is a handy tool. A new version is going to be out soon.

It is really sad that half of the people never heard about it. Looks like we failed at spreading the word. By the way there has only been a single release.

How much are you involved with the community?

40% of the people are users. “Nor am I interested” is not a harsh phrase. It simply means “I use so many applications and it is not possible for me to be involved in each and every community”.

15% of the respondents are eager to join the community. Probably you all can help us in testing. This is where most of the manpower is needed.

In case you have problems, where do you ask your questions?

Two-third of the people do prefer forums. Mailing lists and IRC still trump over Q&A sites. I think many people have answered this not only for problems but also for general questions.

In case you are an Ubuntu user, you can ask your question on Ask Ubuntu and tag the question with zeitgeist tag.

Are your problems related to Zeitgeist solved?

Did I tell you that this chart has boosted my morale? 70% of the people didn’t have problems with Zeitgeist. I now really guess that these people were asking general questions or discussing about zeitgeist and replied to the above question.

Whatever be the case, we still have 10% unsatisfied users from the samplespace. 10% is a significant number. Hope we can bring it down by the next survey.

Few interesting comments we received

More focus on the related items of Zeitgeist

Looks like we really lacking here. Thanks for reminding

The ability to put zeitgeist in private-mode

It is already present in Activity Log Manager

I’m a software developer and do lots of testing every day. I need a way of blocking activity from my development/testing trees

There is a “Logging Active” toggle button in Activity Log Manager

It[Activity Journal] needs to be abstracted into Unity

Isn’t it already? Probably the implementation is different. There is no journal view in Unity

It doesnt show all my files

You need more datasources. In other words we need to provide more datasources which you need to install.

It’s [Activity Journal] good, but shouldn’t we be providing this information through the UIs made available by the host OS?

It is somewhat done for Unity. Next up in Shell and Plasma. In any case none of them show the Journal view as Activity Journal

I really like being able to see what I did, and when I did it. The thumbnails for code snippets, videos, and pictures are also rather nice. Congrats on making a easy-to-use computer journal :)

All I can do is smile

Please integrate it into Gnome Shell if it light enough.

This is also my personal wish. It might take some time

It would be nice if these datsource plugins are included by default without the user having to do it manually. This way it just works.

This has to be done at distro level. This is something even I would love to see

A ppa would be nice.

A you wish, but remember there can be dragons

About these ads

19 comments on “Zeitgeist User Survey 2011 Fall Results

1. Paradiesstaub says:

There is Vim Datasources, but what about Emacs?

PS: Pretty nice to see the survey results.

2. anon says:

When answering “which of these Datasources do you use?”, I simply ticked the applications that I use in that list. I don’t know whether I’ve installed the appropriate plug-ins for them or not.

3. Roger says:

I am the “software developer” comment. Being able to turn the logging on and off is not what I want. I browse web sites, read email, IM, look at images etc while doing development and testing so an all on or all off setting won’t work. And then I’d have to keep remembering to toggle it many times a day.

Quite simply I want a configuration rule that says if the event mentions a file below /space/dev then discard the event (ie don’t even put it in the database).

4. @Roger: Activity Log Manager provides this, as well.

• Roger says:

To me all these pieces are the same thing so I’m not clear what you are saying. At the time I tried zeitgeist there was no way of blacklisting various directories and I found that the existing databases were rather large and full of my testing stuff. I found many other posts asking for the same functionality but no solution. Consequently I removed all of it from my Ubuntu system.

If there is one place I can blacklist directory and in the future web sites (internal IP/netmask/port numbers would probably be better) and as a consequence none of thus suite of programs and plumbing saves the data then I’d be happy.

• Manish says:

Roger, as Siegfried said, Activity Log Manager has the feature of blacklisting folder.

• Roger says:

Here are a bunch of words that I consider to be the same thing: Zeitgeist, Activity Log, Activitiy Log Manager, Activity Journal, Datasources etc. When I did the survey I answered a whole bunch of questions, hit next and the very next page had substantially the same questions but a different name at the top. It did that several times.

On Ubuntu the code that was swelling a database had zeitgeist in the name and that is what I removed. You are now saying some random program making up the whole suite can blacklist folders after saying in the posting above that you could only toggle data recording on or off.

When I looked at “zeitgeist” earlier this year I found no way of blacklisting folders, lots of online requests for the same thing and some very swollen databases on my system. Plus the gui (whatever it was called) was very slow due to the large databases. So I uninstalled it all.

I’m still confused as to what you (plural) are trying to tell me:

Does one program out of all the suite have a config to not show events involving certain folders even if they are recorded in the database?

The same but something that applies to all programs?

A setting that causes the events to not be logged in the first place in the database.

• Manish says:

Zeitgeist records events and stores it in a database, so naturally the size of database will grow over time.

That application Activity Log Manager can do many things. You can toggle logging On and Off. You can blacklist certain folders. You can blacklist files based on types – Video, Audio etc. You can delete all events logged in a specific duration too

For that I need to know what kind of files you do not want to appear

That is what Activity Log Manager does

5. [...] Manish Sinha, sul suo blog ha pubblicato gli esiti di un sondaggio posto alcuni settimane fa, dove gli utenti vengono chiamati ad esprimere una loro [...]

6. Mike Stewart says:

I really like the idea of zeitgeist… have been using it since 10.10 … and 11.04, and now 11.10

Activity Log Manager is useful for blacklisting certin paths/events, etc.

Hopefully the following isn’t too far off topic…

In my opinion, the biggest problem (other than the architecture of requiring each application to be a dataprovider to zeitgeist –versus– zeitgeist monitoring events, such as file access, log events, etc) is Activity Log Journal doesn’t have a way to usefully report time lines. The display is pretty. But it’s not useful to me. For example, I often review a day of work to better understand how my time was spent. The closest thing to what I need is timeline view… but even then, there are no sub-totals or totals. It’d be even better if I could group events in order to gain totals, because quite often I work on multiple files/conversations/things in order to complete a task.

7. carpRwyrobjk says:

Exactly why Are Black UGG Shoes So Popular
    Wedding? Make certain you抮e certainly not resembling the bride or removing from her day through outdoing her. Contrary to popular belief black is an acceptable color for a wedding. Decide what you抮e sporting uggs sverige to the wedding in line with the type of wedding? is it formal pick a formal dress. Semi casual? skirt and blazer. Beach wedding? something soft and flowing. Add appropriate jewelry, shoes, and handbag.
    Wondering How We Will find Inexpensive Ugg Boots

8. Geneva says:

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very
    easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and
    visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Outstanding work!

9. Tonia says:

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after going through many of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking
    it and checking back frequently!

10. the layout and modeling are eternal. The packages do by either sides identify a standard ground, or a core that facilitates settlement between the two parties on the dispute. It the same for insurance policies. The CEO, Paul Levy, took a pay cut too, and for a period he contributed $1 dollar for every $10 in donations the hospital received. The other card has the item details plus the style number.You must have them how to mend whether you’re the one that want to splitup or even. Therefore, 3 sections of open regimen process can be used in such conditions: the provide for size in ore grinding is not so stern, or rod mill is used in rough grinding during night time period, or as soon as processing clay ore flagstone with high moisture, or simply limited by topography.I especially like the rounded handles which are very comfortable for hand carry.Another company, Satyam Computers said it wants to increase its development centers in China from two to three, with its headcount rising from 300 to 5,000 in five years.

11. ClealseCiny says:

これらの靴は私の痛みを引き起こし、私の足があっても、私は彼らに、私は通常より大きい半分サイズを注文インチそれらを破るしようとした後にしびれ行くが、彼らはまだ道が狭すぎでした。 プラス側では、彼らは偉大な牽引力を持っていて、クールに見えた。 さてあなたはこれらの事を行い、人々、そして貿易に与える奴らを持って、と彼女は言った。 彼らはPLURとは何かを持っていた場合、私は彼女に尋ね、彼女は彼らがしたことを答えた。 彼女が絶賛に着用するのは不適切だと思った何かがあった場合は、次の私は彼女に尋ねた。彼らはあなたの頭の後ろを包むアディダス [url=http://haruka.saiin.net/~sido_side-547292/Timberland1.php]timberland 激安[/url]
    あなたがあなた自身の健康やあなたの子供の健康についての懸念がある場合は、必ず医師や他の医療専門家にご相談ください。 このサイトを使用する前に、プライバシーポリシーと利用規約をご確認ください。 サイトのご利用は、利用規約に拘束されることに同意したことを示し.. [url=http://haruka.saiin.net/~sido_side-547292/Timberland1.php?product_id=135]timber land[/url]
    ナイキズーム構造TriaxThe NIKE TRIAX 12は、それがサポートを提供していますようにバスケットボールのために良いですが、光である女性のランニングシューズです。 靴はナイキによると、支持するオーバーレイ、柔軟性とsuperresponsiveクッションのためのフレックスグルーブとアッパー通気性メッシュを持っています。 サイズ8は、10.1オンスの重量を量る。 [url=http://rinrin.saiin.net/~karu2/Timberland2.php]ティンバー abcマート[/url]
    3。 モデル細胞観察の下に二つの大きな星があります。 これらの質問は、(私の知る限り、私はgeiusよ:D)クラスで答えていませんでした。 NZヘラルドは、ヤング氏と北京で氏スティーブンチンの会議で新しい市民党氏 の将来を議論することが、1月に報告これは48歳のためのハンドヘルド教育システムであるアディダス [url=http://rinrin.saiin.net/~karu2/Timberland2.php]ティンバー ブーツ レディース[/url]

12. ClealseCiny says:

これらは、買いと検索の各製品と各グループで他の多くの中で得品種一部です。 あなたは、特定のバウチャーのウェブサイトと一緒に募集し、あなたの電子メールメールボックスに送信され、これらの種類のを入手することができます。 あなたは、おそらくこのようなスニーカーなどの任意の特定の項目に分類してしまった場合はもちろん、あなたは、おそらく買い物に関連付けられた楽しみのために設定されます。.. [url=http://haruka.saiin.net/~sido_side-547292/Timberland1.php]ティンバーランド ブーツ メンズ[/url]
    若いファンのためのその他の項目は、eighteeninchチェーン上のサッカーcharmsOrpendantsあるいは犬のタグが含まれています。 これらの犬タグは、様々なサッカーの小売業者から入手可能であり、サッカーボールだけでなく、あなたの選択した国の名前が付いています。 これらの人々は、女の子や男の子のために最適です。 [url=http://haruka.saiin.net/~sido_side-547292/Timberland1.php?product_id=81]ティンバーランド メンズブーツ[/url]
    アディダスジェレミースコット店は、すべての新しい迷彩JSベアカラーウェイとすべてブラックメタリックJSウィングスアップデートでこの7日間を返します。 JSベアフェイクファーのアッパーに刻印だその迷彩グラフィックにわたって快適にしています。 さらなる詳細は、黒ソールとスナップ毎熊が着用アディダス日焼けが含まれています。 [url=http://rinrin.saiin.net/~karu2/Timberland2.php]ティンバー 6インチ[/url]
    KAD SMO DOLI uはサモSMO SE zajebavali私slikaliをrazred。 恩田KAD JE ULAラシカpodijelila svjedodbe私マイルSMO pogledali PA vratili。 恩田SMO SVI zajedno ILI NA parkiralite IZA NAE Koleのルーク2。 JE SVE normalno zatoカイSE znamo 8ゴージナにSU plakale AI nekiデキ、アリを治す。 AK SMO私rotiljali NA planetui evapi SUビリビリprejebeni。 Poslije SU SE SVIマロotrijezniliアリneki城争うナピ。 [url=http://rinrin.saiin.net/~karu2/Timberland2.php]ティンバー ファッション[/url]

13. My brother recommended I might like this web site.
    He used to be entirely right. This submit actually made my day.
    You can not believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this info!

Thank you!